Sunday, June 8, 2008

2008 Meridian Elementary Mini Marathon 7 June 2008




Yesterday was the 2008 Meridian Elementary School Mini-marathon. This is an annual traditional run which is 2.5 miles. Connor and I have done this run since he was at least in the 1st grade. When Connor was in the third grade he took 1st place in his age group. Last year, in his 4th grade year, Connor and his friend, Nick Harris, decided to walk the route and posted a 33 minute time.

This year, Connor and Nick were together on the run again. However, they apparently decided to run, at least most of the way. Connor posted a 27 minute time and took second place in his age group. Nick took third place in their age group. While this time was not as good as Connor's 3rd grade time, he enjoyed it just as much.

I have been running the mini-marathon course almost weekly. (See my running cycling blog at http://RaymondVG.bimjournals.com). I was able to finish in my personal best time of 21 minutes 15 seconds.
Connor was a bit sore on Sunday but said that he would like to continue to run. He said that he really enjoyed the race (even though this is not the most enthusiastic picture I have seen of him). I hope that he continues to run. He has one more year of this race and I think it will be a good goal for him to see if he can improve upon this year's time.

No comments: